Sunday, September 7, 2014

From the Editor's Desk: Sleepless in Chicago, and New York, and Berlin

Three cities, and a mountain of coverage

We've done a lot of things and gone a lot of places in my five years of doing this job. New York. San Francisco. Las Vegas. San Diego. Chicago. Detroit. Orlando. Los Angeles. Seattle. London. Berlin. Barcelona. Seoul. Austin. Dallas. And that's just off the top of my head.

I don't remember ever pulling off — or being anywhere near as tired, or mostly satisfied — what we did last week. For Andrew Martonik and myself, it started with four devices from Samsung in New York, and hardly inconsequential ones at that. The Samsung Galaxy Note 4. The Samsung Galaxy Note Edge. The Gear S smartwatch. And the Gear VR virtual reality helmet. I'll wait and argue usefulness another day. As singular products, that was a pretty cool day of coverage.

And that's to say nothing of the (sort of) simultaneous live events in New York and Berlin. That's always a tricky thing to try to liveblog, as it starts to get confusing, for obvious reasons. It didn't help that New York started a good 10 or 15 minutes later than Berlin, so Andrew and I just held back and let Alex run that show. Of course, Andrew and I ended up standing about 8 feet from Maroon 5's Adam Levine and some other guy. (James Valentine, actually. C'mon, don't pretend you don't know there's more than one person in that band.) So there's that.

Coming off about 2 hours of sleep the night before the event, we pause just long enough in New York to pick up our bags, then head to La Guardia for a short hop to Chicago and Motorola. (Managed to catch my first game at Wrigley upon landing, though. It's not often I'm able to squeeze in a little fun time on these trips, but I'm glad we did in this case. What a ballpark.)

So, Motorola, and the new Moto X, Moto 360, and some pretty cool accessories. Imagine if Motorola had announced the Moto Hint on its own, say a month or so from now. It would have mostly been a footnote. Instead, it got tons of ink last week. (We'll do more on it when it's actually available.) That's damn good PR, folks.

And I'm still catching up on everything Alex, Richard and Derek did at IFA in Berlin. I can't say enough how great a job those guys did.

It was one hell of a week. And we're not done yet. This week Andrew and I are off to Las Vegas for the CTIA "Super Mobility Week." We're not expecting anything near as epic as last week, but coverage will start Monday, and you can catch it all here.










source: androidcentral

0 comments :